Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My Aventures into Knitting


I have been knitting since 2002. I wanted to learn after I read an article in Women's Day, or something stupid like that, where that lady from Judging Amy (the mom or something, I think) said she knits baby hats on set. It showed an apple hat and gave a simple patten. It seemed like the perfect pastime for me: portable, not overly intricate (like cross stich, or something), quick, cheap, and useful. I tried to teach myself with books while I was pregnant with Max, and gave up several time. But occasionally, I would get out the needles and yarn I bought and try again, until I finally caught on. It wasn't as popular as it is now, it seems like I jumped in just when it's popularity was starting. When I started, the library had like 10 knitting books from the '80's and now they have almost 200 (from now, not 200 from the '80's. Yuck.). It's really sad how much that excites me. Anyway, I absolutly love it. I love it because I can make something in an evening, or something that takes a year. I can throw it in a bag and take it with me to the doctor's office to knit while I wait, or in the car on a road trip. I can buy $2 skeins of yarn or splurge on a $15 one (I said I could, I didn't say I did). I can knit while I watch Tv or talk to someone, or, I haven't gotten up the nerve to do it yet, but I could knit during church. It's not totally mindless work, but it doesn't have to require total consentration. You can have a pattern that requires your undivided attention, but if you don't feel like doing that, you can put it aside and work on something else. Anyway, I wanted this blog to document the projects I work on and (hopefully) complete. I'm the worst about putting a half-finished piece of work in the closet and forgetting what pattern I was using, what gauge, and everything like that. So...hopefully this will help. Plus I will get to talk about what I am working on without having to bore anyone to death (you don't have to read this, you know). So, let's see what I'm making!

No comments: